Web Communications Policies + Procedures
All policies, procedures, and standards for online and interactive media, including the university website, mass e-mails and e-newsletters can be found here. If you have a question and cannot find the answer below, please contact the webteam directly at email@example.com.
This section explains administrative rules and who is responsible for what in the creation, design, and maintenance of websites affiliated with Loyola University New Orleans.
- Official University Web Policy: An Overview: Explains the role of the Web Team, academic departments, and administrative units in creating university websites. This policy also identifies the target audience for these websites.
- University Homepage: Offers documentation of Loyola's home page components, navigation, and stakeholders involved.
- Office, College, Department, Organization, or other Administrative Unit Websites: Explains the web standards for academic and administrative units and student organizations.
- Websites for Individuals: Explains the standards for faculty and staff web pages.
- Multimedia Content: Graphics, Flash Animation and Video used on web pages.
- Mass E-mails and E-newsletters: Who, how, and when mass e-mails and e-newsletters can be sent.
- Social Media: Policies for all official university social media accounts, including blogs, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Blogs: Policy for creation and maintenance of blogs.
- URL Addresses: Rationale for how office, college, and department domain names are established along with information about URL redirects.
- Third-party vendors: Explains restrictions on using third-party vendors to design and manage content for university websites.
- Production timelines and requirements: Including content management training, troubleshooting, custom graphics, simple and interactive forms.
This section describes typical web team projects, who to contact to request projects, and procedures for completing projects.
- Website Development: Need a site? A blog or photo gallery? Here's how to create new web sites for individuals, colleges, offices, departments, and so forth.
- Website Navigation: Want to revise/change the navigation on your website? Create your strategy with our help.
- Content Management: Website out of date? Need help getting it back in order? Forgotten how to use the content management system? Here's who to contact and how to request assistance.
- Form Creation and Programming: Need a form? This applies to both print and web publications.
- Graphics/Video: Already have your site, but need some extra punch? Find out how to request web-based graphics, videos, and Flash here.
- Mass E-mails and E-newsletters: How to get your message in your readers' inboxes, who to contact to make it happen, and how long it will take.
- Online Promotion and Publicity: Need to get exposure for your updated website, or publicity for your department's news or event? Find out how here.
Best practices and university-approved guidelines for producing and maintaining online and/or interactive media:
- Images: Where to find quality Loyola photos, how to choose an appropriate image, and how to edit in Photoshop.
- Search Engine Optimization: How people can find your website through Google. Or, how to generate more visitors to your website via search engines.
- Social Media: Guidelines on how to properly handle social media accounts (like blogs, Facebook, Twitter) affiliated with Loyola.
- Updating Your Website: The importance of regular updates, how often you shoud do it, and the value of archiving old content.
- Writing for the Web: Learn how people read websites and how to write effectively for the web.